The Washington Area Bicyclist Association seeks an effective, organized, and driven Development Director to lead WABA’s development team. The Development Director will be the chief fundraiser and work in close partnership with the Executive Director and the Board of Directors
A vital member of the senior leadership team, the Development Director works collaboratively to support existing programs and campaigns, and develop new programs and revenue streams. The Development Director will procure funding for programs through membership and major donor programs, foundations, grants, corporate sponsorship and private contracts. They will supervise WABA’s events, membership and development staff. This includes leading annual work planning, developing evaluation metrics, and overseeing budgets.
The Development Director will report to the Executive Director, and work directly with the Board of Directors and staff leadership to achieve WABA’s strategic goals. The ideal candidate will share WABA’s vision for better biking in the region, and enjoy working in a fast-paced and collaborative environment.
- Meet or exceed 2017 fundraising targets:
- Manage and grow the portfolio of foundation grants, corporate funders, and individual donors.
- Research new funding opportunities.
- Assist senior staff in preparing new government grants and grant renewals.
- Track and evaluate the efficacy of WABA’s fundraising:
- Maintain comprehensive systems for routine reporting.
- Manage WABA’s supporter database, including data entry, gift processing and donor recognition.
- Lead the transition from the current CRM database to an updated platform.
- Prepare regular, quarterly and annual reports to track progress.
- Lead, manage and inspire the development, event & membership staff:
- With input from Executive Director, work with events and membership staff to create annual work plans consistent with the organization’s mission and strategic plan.
- Manage staff, to hit goals, conduct annual performance reviews, encourage professional development, and other managerial/administrative tasks.
- Work with Executive Director and senior staff to execute the Strategic Plan, set organizational goals, and determine the future direction of WABA.
- Serve as staff liaison to the Board of Directors Development Committee.
- Attend major events, rides, advocacy and education programs as needed.
The ideal candidate:
- Has experience managing an annual portfolio of $250,000 or more that includes grant writing, major donor cultivation, and corporate giving.
- Is a seasoned team leader, with experience supervising, mentoring, motivating and evaluating employees.
- Has demonstrated success in strategic planning and capacity building.
- Is a clear and persuasive writer.
- Is detail-oriented, highly organized, self-motivated and able to work closely with others.
- Has experience working in diverse communities and on diverse teams of staff and volunteers.
- Is proficient in CRM databases (Salsalabs, Salesforce, or similar), Microsoft Office and Google suite for business.
- Has a Bachelors Degree in a related field.
Benefits include employer covered health/dental insurance, a flexible work schedule, vacation, sick and personal leave, committed colleagues, fun working environment, and WABA’s 403(b) retirement program. Salary is mid- to upper-$50s. This position is full-time.
Send a resume and compelling cover letter addressing your interest in the position, commitment to WABA’s mission, and relevant work experience to email@example.com. Please include a persuasive writing sample with your application. Include “Development Director” in the subject line.
The position is available immediately. Applications will be considered on a rolling basis until the position is filled. Interested candidates are strongly encouraged to apply by April 7th, 2017
WABA is committed to providing equal employment opportunity for all persons regardless of race, color, religion, national origin, marital status, arrest record or criminal convictions, political affiliation, sexual orientation or gender identity, disability, sex, or age.
No phone calls please.