The Washington Area Bicyclist Association (WABA) seeks a full-time Coordinator for our bicycle education and outreach programming dedicated to serving youth and families in the District of Columbia and the surrounding jurisdictions.
WABA’s education and outreach programs are highly regarded and successful, helping youth and families throughout the DC region to learn to ride bikes, to ride safely and comfortably on city streets, and to use bicycles to commute to and from work. Our youth education program provides bicycle and pedestrian education in DC public schools, public charter schools, and recreation centers, as well as private extracurricular bike education outside the school system.
Reporting to Program Director, this position will coordinate several of WABA’s existing programs, as well as working with development staff to design, fund, and implement new ideas. WABA is a small but growing office, and on occasion, all staff are asked to assist in general WABA duties and major events.
The Youth & Family Coordinator will:
- Plan, coordinate, and implement several key WABA programs in the District, as laid out in WABA’s existing contract with DDOT, including: in-school education, afterschool bike clubs, youth learn to ride classes, and parent/child classes. The Coordinator will be responsible for:
- Delivering high-quality bicycling experiences to youth and families throughout the District.
- Scheduling upwards of 20 events per year across these programs.
- Marketing and promoting programs and conducting outreach activities.
- Leading and teaching classes and rides.
- Designing and modifying events, topics, ride routes, and curricula as needed.
- Recruiting, training, and coordinating volunteers.
- Collecting student, teacher and administration feedback and incorporating it into programming.
- General administration, including blog posts, data entry, organization/inventory, clerical work, etc.
- Maintain a small fleet of bikes, including: cleaning, replacing parts, and minor tune-ups.
- Be responsible for the usage and service of the WABA van.
- Manage all aspects of WABA’s Bike Camp! as Camp Director, including:
- Creating a safe program with a thorough risk management plan.
- Creation and implementation of a marketing and promotion plan.
- Oversight of registration and operations of camp.
- Designing curricula.
- Hiring and training a team of Camp Counselors.
- Engaging community partners.
- Running the day-to-day operations of a 6-week day camp.
- Evaluating performance and writing a final report.
- Collaborate with the Programs team in resource sharing, skills development, and cross-program integration of ideas.
- With the Programs team, commit to achieving the goals laid out in the 2015 WABA Strategic Plan.
- With the Development team, work to identify new programmatic areas of need, design programs to meet those needs, and implement them.
- With the Programs, Development, and Advocacy teams, determine if and how to export the programs in the DDOT contract to the surrounding jurisdictions.
- Perform a variety of tasks related to the operations of WABA including office tasks, event assistance, and clerical work.
The ideal candidate will have:
- 1-3 years physical education/athletics/outdoor education with youth ages 5-18.
- 1-3 years summer camp management/counselor experience.
- 1-3 years supervisory experience.
- Previous youth development training and experience strongly preferred.
- Current League Cycling Instructor (LCI) certification or equivalent OR the willingness/ability to obtain certification within first 6-8 weeks of employment.
- Current First Aid/CPR certification for children OR the willingness/ability to obtain certification within first 6-8 weeks of employment.
- The ability to pass DC Public Schools’ volunteering requirements: negative tuberculosis test and criminal background check.
- Excellent writing, presentation, and public speaking skills.
- A flexible schedule, specifically a willingness to work evenings, early mornings, and weekends.
- The ability to organize time wisely and multi-task in a relaxed, fun environment.
- A current driver’s license, a clean driving record, and the ability to drive a large van in city traffic.
- The ability to lift 45 lbs.
- A strong commitment to WABA’s mission.
- A solid understanding of the principles of bicycling safety and traffic law.
- A commitment to being a safe and exemplary bicyclist.
- Spanish proficiency or ASL proficiency a strong plus
Benefits include flex time, vacation, sick and personal leave, and WABA’s retirement and health insurance programs. Expected salary range: $35,000-$40,000. This position is full-time.
Send a cover letter and a resume to email@example.com. No phone calls please.
Applications will be accepted until February 12th. Expected start date is March 1st, 2016.