The Washington Area Bicyclist Association (WABA) is looking for a part-time coordinator for the Women & Bicycles program, an innovative grassroots approach inspiring more women to bike, teach, advocate, and lead the bike movement.
The Women & Bicycles program was created in 2012 to increase bike commuting modeshare among women (26% in D.C., 21% in MD, and 26% in VA), by creating a close-knit community for women who already bike and inspiring this community to facilitate mentorship with the women in their own lives who don’t already bike. The 3,200+ community is energetic, welcoming, diverse, respectful, eager to learn, eager to share, and is thriving both online and offline.
The program consists of monthly workshops, monthly rides, monthly social events, an online forum and facilitating mentorship. The heart of the program is peer-to-peer mentorship through volunteer Roll Models. Roll Models are women who already bike and commit to recruiting 5-10 biking protégés from their personal networks. The protégés are invited to a dinner party with their mentor and use conversation and our comprehensive biking guide to work through all their personal questions, concerns, and unknowns when it comes to biking.
The Women & Bicycles Coordinator is responsible for all aspects of the Women & Bicycles program, including Roll Model recruitment, training and coordination, event coordination, online forum support, and developing strategies to grow the program in a way that is successful, sustainable, and equitable. The position will report to WABA’s Outreach Coordinator.
The Women & Bicycles Coordinator will:
- Develop and implement Women & Bicycles events, including: partner coordination, content development, scheduling, planning, promotion, volunteer coordination, packing and unpacking, staffing events, and recap.
- Recruit, train, coordinate, engage, the Women & Bicycles Roll Models and track their success.
- Work to create new partner relationships with non-traditional cycling groups to build the reach and resources of Women & Bicycles across diverse networks throughout the region.
- Facilitate the Women & Bicycle forum and its guidelines to maintain its culture of respect, information-sharing, and joy.
The ideal candidate will have:
- A strong commitment to WABA’s mission and be a skillful and committed bicyclist with a solid understanding of the principles of bicycling safety and traffic law.
- Experience in: project management, events planning/management, marketing and/or volunteer coordination.
- Excellent writing, presentation and public speaking skills.
- A flexible schedule and willingness to work evenings and weekends as needed.
- Experience with Microsoft Office, Google Docs, Facebook and Twitter.
- The ability to organize time wisely and multi-task in a relaxed, fun environment, and independently.
This position is part-time, 20 hours/week and compensation is $14 per hour.
About the Washington Area Bicyclist Association
Making bicycling better through advocacy and education, WABA promotes biking as a healthy, low-cost, and environmentally-friendly form of transportation and recreation. With 5,000 members region-wide, WABA serves bicyclists throughout the Washington, DC Metropolitan Area, including the District of Columbia and parts of Maryland and Virginia.
Send a cover letter with a resume to email@example.com. No phone calls please. Position available immediately. Applications accepted until the position is filled.
WABA is committed to providing equal employment opportunity for all persons regardless of race, color, religion, national origin, marital status, political affiliation, sexual orientation or gender identity, disability, sex or age.
Women & Bicycles is proudly supported by The Potomac Pedalers Touring Club; hosts of the region’s most robust all-level group ride calendar and bike tailgates, Chipotle our delicious dinner party sponsors, and we’re supported by all our friends who donated through the Hains Point 100 ride.