WABA has a 40-year history of successful advocacy in the D.C. region. We depend on our members and supporters to help us demonstrate the need for better bicycling in the District of Columbia; Montgomery, Prince George’s, Fairfax, Arlington counties; and the city of Alexandria.
Here’s what we’re working on right now:
1. Vision Zero – accountability in DC, Montgomery County and Alexandria (which have all committed to Vision Zero and have or are creating action plans) and pushing other jurisdictions to make similar commitments.
- We launched the Capital Trails Coalition in the fall of 2015, which is working to connect, and build out / improve the region’s network of trails.
- Our action committees are working on these campaigns to get protected bike lanes or trails built in Prince George’s County, Arlington, and Montgomery County.
- We’re tracking infrastructure improvement projects throughout the region – organizing our members to participate in the public feedback comment and design process (a long list of projects – some highlights are Eastern Downtown, Downtown West, Florida Ave, New York Ave, Alabama Ave, Grant and Sherman Circles, K and Water Street, Met Branch Trail, Rock Creek Park Trail, I-66 Trail)
3. Enacting laws and policies that protect bicyclists
- Long-term Advocacy Priorities – Learn more about our list of 10 advocacy priorities that guide our work.
- Current Campaigns – Follow and get involved with our local campaigns.
- Past Campaigns and Historic Victories – See highlights from WABA’s 40 years of advocacy efforts.
Have comments, suggestions, or questions about WABA’s advocacy work? Send them to firstname.lastname@example.org.