The Washington Area Bicyclist Association (WABA) seeks a full-time Education Coordinator for our bicycle education and outreach programming dedicated to serving adults in the Washington, DC region.
WABA’s education and outreach programs are highly regarded and successful, helping adults throughout the DC region to learn to ride bikes, to ride safely and comfortably on city streets, and to use bicycles to commute to and from work. These programs create opportunities to engage with and educate adults no matter how they ride.
Reporting to Programs Director, this position will coordinate several of WABA’s existing programs, as well as working with development staff to design, fund, and implement new ideas. WABA is a small but growing office, and on occasion, all staff are asked to assist in general WABA duties and major events.
The Education Coordinator will spend approximately 80% of their time on the following:
- Plan, coordinate, and implement several key WABA programs: Adult Learn to Ride classes, City Cycling classes, Community rides, Everyday Biking seminars, and Bicycle Friendly Driver seminars. The Coordinator will be responsible for:
- Delivering high-quality bicycling experiences to adults throughout WABA’s service area.
- Scheduling 70+ events per year across these programs.
- Designing and modifying events, topics, ride routes, and curricula as needed.
- Leading and teaching classes, rides and seminars.
- Collecting student and instructor feedback and incorporating it into programming.
- Marketing and promoting programs and conducting outreach activities.
- General administration, including blog posts, data entry, organization/inventory, clerical work, etc.
- Recruit, train, and coordinate with WABA’s corps of 40+ contracted instructors in order to deliver programs effectively.
The Education Coordinator will spend approximately 20% of their time on the following:
- Identify areas of need for future programming, design effective concepts to meet those needs, and work with the Development team to source funding to build new programs.
- Collaborate with the Programs team in resource sharing, skills development, and cross-program integration of ideas.
- With the Programs team, commit to achieving the goals laid out in the 2015 WABA Strategic Plan.
- Work with regional stakeholders to bring bicycle education to areas not already served.
- Perform a variety of tasks related to the operations of WABA including office tasks, event support, and clerical work.
The ideal candidate will have:
- 2 or more years of program management or program development experience.
- 1 or more year of direct supervisory experience.
- Education, instruction, or teaching experience.
- The ability to pass DC Public Schools’ volunteering requirements: tuberculosis test and criminal background check.
- Excellent public speaking, presentation, and writing skills.
- A flexible schedule, specifically working weekends and/or evenings during busy periods of the year. Expect to work minimum 4 hours each weekend during the April-June and September-November periods.
- The ability to organize time wisely and multi-task in a relaxed, fun environment.
- A strong commitment to WABA’s mission.
Additional preferred skills include:
- Current League Cycling Instructor (LCI) certification or equivalent OR the willingness/ability to obtain certification within first 2-3 months of employment.
- A current driver’s license and a clean driving record.
- Marketing/promotional experience.
- The ability to lift 40 lbs.
- The ability to ride a bike comfortably and confidently in urban/suburban situations.
- A solid understanding of the principles of bicycling safety and traffic law.
- A commitment to being a safe and exemplary bicyclist.
The Washington Area Bicyclist Association (WABA) is working to create a healthy, more livable region by promoting bicycling for fun, fitness, and affordable transportation; advocating for better bicycling conditions and transportation choices for a healthier environment; and educating children, adults, and motorists about safe bicycling.
WABA’s programs, from youth education to grassroots community organizing, engage residents in Prince George’s County, Montgomery County, Alexandria, Arlington County, Fairfax County, and Washington, DC. Six thousand dues-paying members and thousands more generous supporters have helped WABA transform bicycling in the region again and again over its 46 year history.
WABA is building a region where, in 2020, we’ll see three times the number of people riding bikes. And, by 2035, every single person will live within one mile of a dedicated safe place to bike. We envision a region in which biking is joyful, safe, popular, and liberating; supported by the necessary infrastructure, laws, activities, and investments; and where bicycle ridership mirrors the incredible diversity of our communities.
This position is full-time. Expected salary range is $40,000-$45,000. The position is based in the WABA Office in Adams Morgan, Washington, DC. All employees are expected to work some evenings and weekends with flex time in exchange.
Benefits include 100% employer covered health/dental/vision insurance premiums; vacation, sick, and personal leave; committed colleagues; fun working environment; optional voluntary accident/disability insurance; WABA’s 403(b) retirement program; indoor bike parking; and surprising amounts of ice cream.
WABA is committed to providing equal employment opportunity for all persons regardless of race, color, religion, national origin, marital status, arrest record or criminal convictions, political affiliation, sexual orientation or gender identity, disability, sex, or age.
Send a cover letter and resume as to email@example.com. Please include “Education Coordinator” in the subject line. No phone calls.
Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis; the position will remain posted until filled. Interested candidates are encouraged to apply by or before Monday, June 18th. Only candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.