It’s bike light season again!
Lights are one of the most important safety features on your bike. If you don’t have lights, get some lights! You can buy a good set of front and rear lights at any bike shop, most hardware stores, or your preferred online retailer. If you can’t afford lights, let us know and we’ll help.
- Keep a spare battery or a charger at work or in a little bag on your bike.
- Make sure you have lights that meet your needs:
- If you’re likely to be riding on an unlit road trail, make sure you have a light that’s bright enough to let you see where you’re going.
- If you’re just riding on city streets, a small blinking light is probably enough.
- When you’re riding on a trail, be aware of the angle of your front light. Modern LEDs can be quite bright, and you don’t want to blind on coming trail users.
Note: WABA gives away thousands of bike lights every year. We’ve found that we can get more lights into the hands of folks who don’t already have them if we do not announce times or locations in advance. Instead, we seek out places where we see lots of people riding without lights. If you see us out there, say hello! Pick up a set of lights only if you need them.