Posts Tagged ‘members’
Are you a WABA member? Our annual meeting is next Tuesday, and you’re invited to attend to learn about the state of the organization and what we’re working on.
On Feb. 26, we’ll meet at 6:30 p.m. in the Eaton Room at All Souls Unitarian Church (1500 Harvard St. NW) for brief presentations by WABA staff and its board president. Elections for new board members will also take place.
Light appetizers will be served. The meeting will conclude at 8:30 p.m. Please RSVP if you plan to attend.
Not a WABA member? Join today.
Photo by ranpuba. Contribute to our Flickr pool!
Whether you have been a WABA member for years or just joined, you benefit in countless ways—like access to an array of enticing member benefits. To ensure that you don’t miss out on these awesome benefits, we wanted to remind you that as a WABA member you get:
- Discounts on parts, accessories, and/or bikes at over 50 area bike shops in D.C., Maryland, and Virginia
- Use of one of our bike “boxes” (i.e. bike carrying case) for bike travel by plane or train (pictured)
- Four issues of RideOn, WABA’s quarterly newsletter
- Discounts on all WABA rides (including Vasa and 50 States) and at all WABA events (including Bike Prom, BikeFest, and the WABA holiday party)
- Savings on all WABA merchandise
- Ability to obtain Maryland “Share the Road” License Plates if you are a Maryland resident
You also get discounts from our community business partners (when you present a current membership card or discount code). Those include:
- Annie’s Ace Hardware: 5% off one item under $50
- Bike and Roll: $10 off bike rentals and/or bike tours
- Bike Escapades: $150 off bike touring trips (plus $150 donated to WABA)
- Brighter Days Collective Dog Walking & Pet Sitting: Get the cost of your WABA membership taken off your dog-walking or pet-sitting bill
- Car2Go: Free Car2Go membership, plus 30 minutes of free drive time. Contact firstname.lastname@example.org for discount code
- Czech Active Tours: $50 off bike rentals
- Embody Pure Fitness: 15% off personal training packages, plus a free fitness evaluation
- Flow Yoga: 15% discount on all yoga classes
- Gottaswing: 20% off beginner dance classes at D.C. locations (for first-time students)
- Lunar Massage: Free membership to Lunar Massage
- Rentabikenow.com: Save $5 on a bike reservation. Contact email@example.com for discount code.
- Results Gym: Discounted gym enrollment
- Tranquil Space: Receive unlimited 15% discount on 1-,6-, or 10-class yoga passes
- YMCA: Reduced enrollment and 10% off monthly dues at D.C., MD, and VA locations. Discount does not apply at the new 14th & W NW location
- Zipcar: Half off first year annual fee ($30). Contact firstname.lastname@example.org for discount code.
Are you a business interested in offering a benefit to WABA members? Contact our Membership Coordinator Megan Van de Mark at email@example.com or call 202.518.0524 x203.
With the start of a new year, many of us make fitness-related resolutions. Whether we hope to lose weight, eat better, or simply feel better in our bodies, the beginning of the year is a great time to start a new fitness routine. However, the chillier temperatures can sometimes dissuade us from wanting to hop on our bikes to achieve those goals. Luckily for members, some of WABA’s discount partners offer indoor exercise opportunities.
As a WABA member, you receive discounts at Results Gym, Embody Pure Fitness, and the YMCA.
- Results Gym offers discounted enrollment at its Capitol Hill and downtown locations. It provides personal training, nutrition services, rock climbing, hydroworx training pool, cardio theater, a variety of classes (yoga, cycling, abs, karate, dance, etc.), massage, squash and basketball courts, and more.
- Embody Pure Fitness, located in Adams Morgan, offers a 15 percent discount on any personal trainer package. It specializes in boot camp workouts, kettlebells, TRX, nutrition, and rehabilitation services.
- YMCA of Metropolitan Washington, at its D.C., Maryland, and Virginia locations, offers reduced enrollment and 10% off monthly dues. It offers aquatics, youth and adults sports, fitness, yoga, dance, childcare, and more. This discount does not apply at the new 14th & W NW location in D.C.
Spend more time improving your health, but save money while doing so.
Now that’s a member benefit!
Recently, we introduced the businesses that helped WABA launch our Business Membership program. Today, we welcome our newest business members! Here’s a little bit about what they have to offer and what they do to encourage cycling.
Capitol Hill Bikes is a full-service, women-owned bike shop in Capitol Hill. Since 2000, it has been working to provide a warm, welcoming environment for cyclists of all ages and skill levels to shop, learn, and experience the joy of cycling. Committed to educating cyclists, Capitol Hill Bikes offers fix-a-flat classes on the first and third Saturday of the month.
Qualia Coffee is a D.C. coffee shop and home of Fresh Off the Roast, a small-batch coffee roasting company. Qualia is bike-friendly: In 2011, it worked with WABA and DDOT to get bike racks installed out front of its Georgia Avenue location, ensuring that bicycle parking was available for their customers. Qualia also provided the initial home and incubation space for The Bike House, a community-based bike cooperative.
The Strong Law Firm is a Falls Church-based law firm that specializes in mortgage, traffic, personal injury, and bankruptcy clients. It is dedicated to defending the rights of all road users, including bike riders and pedestrians who are often given the short end of the legal stick.
A big welcome and thanks to our newest business members! If you’re interested in becoming a business member, learn more about the program here.
Last week we announced WABA’s new Business Membership program, and mentioned the first five businesses to get involved. Today, let us give you a more in-depth look at what the businesses that have joined up with us have to offer.
VeloCity Bicycle Cooperative is a non-profit, volunteer-run, do-it-yourself bicycle workshop in Alexandria. It offers trainings, rides, and events to empower and educate area bicyclists through building, maintaining, and embracing the fun of riding a bike. VeloCity actively sought us out for a business membership and quickly became our first member.
Bike and Roll is a bike rental, repair, and touring company with locations in D.C. and Alexandria. It provides hourly and full-day bike rentals, guided bike tours, and bicycle repair and maintenance. A long time supporter of WABA, Bike and Roll has frequently donated its bikes for use at WABA events and classes.
Ecoprint is an environmentally responsible printing company in Silver Spring that uses a 100 percent carbon-neutral printing processes—Ecoprint was “eco” before it was cool. The company has printed WABA’s newsletter and direct mailings for many years and has helped us raise awareness of bicycling issues in an environmentally friendly manner.
KGP Design Studios, LLC is a design firm providing architecture, urban design, and transit planning services. It has been a leader in the livable cities movement, designing premier bicycle facilities including the Union Station Bicycle Transit Center (which is operated by Bike and Roll).
The Motley Fool is a multimedia financial-services company that provides financial solutions for all kinds of investors. Committed to cultivating bicycling as a viable transportation option for its staff, The Motley Fool brought in WABA for an employee-based bike commuter seminar in 2011.
After the hustle and bustle of the holiday season, are you feeling stressed? Did you resolve to be healthier in 2013? Have the marginally chillier temperatures left you craving an indoor exercise outlet? Time on the yoga mat is a great way to reduce stress, get healthy, and move your body. And a WABA membership can help you stretch out at a discount!
As a WABA member, you receive discounts on classes at two area yoga studios. Flow Yoga, on P Street NW near Whole Foods, offers 15 percent off all yoga classes in their eco-friendly studio. Tranquil Space, with locations in D.C. and Arlington, offers 15 percent off one-, six-, and ten-class yoga passes.
Between the holiday shopping, the holiday parties, the holiday food, and the family holiday gatherings, are you mildly stressed out? Are your shoulders and neck feeling the resulting strain—or are you simply in need of a brief reprieve from the hubbub? We think so! Luckily, we have an appropriately relieving solution: a massage with WABA discount partner Lunar Massage!
Lunar Massage offers free membership to all WABA members (an initial $40 savings). And membership means awesome, discounted massages at Lunar’s three cozy D.C. locations! WABA members get lower prices on each massage, 20 percent off all massages in your birthday month, special members-only discount days, and a $10 referral credit for new local clients.
Whether you need some pain relief after a long, hard winter ride or crave straight-up stress reduction, Lunar Massage‘s membership is a great way to survive the holiday season. If it is a friend or coworker who is in need, give them the gift of massage: WABA members get 10 percent off all gift cards and gift certificate purchases.
Now that’s a member benefit!
What could be better than touring the European countryside by bike? Touring the European countryside by bike while someone else handles the logistics! Czech Active Tours, a small bike touring company, provides fully supported bike trips throughout central Europe. Your lodging, breakfasts and dinners, a tour guide, and luggage transport are all taken care of, allowing you to focus on the sites rather than on the planning.
Visit an olive oil mill in Spain. Walk the streets of Seville. Enjoy a boat tour of Budapest. Meander through Austrian vineyards. Tour Gothic, Baroque, and Renaissance cathedrals, churches, monasteries, and castles in the Czech Republic. Czech Active Tours makes this all possible. And by bike!
Join Czech Active Tours on any of their bike tours and save $100 as a WABA member. For every member that takes advantage of the discount, they will donate an additional $50 to WABA. For the month of November only, Czech Active Tours is also offering a special discount to WABA members. For groups of four or more, they will offer an additional $50 off per person and $50 off bike rentals.
Now THAT’S a member benefit!
Haven’t joined yet? There’s still time! Join today to receive a discounted 1-year individual and 1-year family membership ($10 off). Each new member who joins during the membership drive also gets a free WABA water bottle or WABA sunglasses along with a WABA patch kit or tire levers set (while supplies last).
A BIG THANKS to…
… all our volunteers who stood at busy intersections throughout the week, promoting bicycling and WABA while handing out free bike maps!
… City Bikes, for donating awesome bike prizes for our refer-a-friend drawing!
… BikeArlington, for providing coffee and granola bars and then helping pass them out!
During this week’s Fall Membership Drive, we have been asking WABA members to support us by referring-a-friend to join WABA. If every WABA member refers just one co-worker, friend, family member, or fellow bike commuter to join, our reach will be twice as big! That’s two times as many people working to ensure bicyclists’ needs are represented. We all benefit when this happens.
To convey our appreciation, we will be entering each referrer into a drawing for cool bike prizes. Thanks to our friends at City Bikes, we will be giving away a Specialized helmet, OnGuard Pitbull bike lock, and Planet Bike Blaze Superflash light set. In addition, our top five referrers will receive a free 1-year WABA membership or membership extension.
Use this customizable, “refer-a-friend” email to refer up to 20 friends to join. Feel free to change or personalize the message, but remember to leave the join link so they can receive 1-year individual and 1-year family discounted memberships ($10 off). Just make certain your friends fill in your name (in the “referred by a friend” field) when they join so you can get credit.