Biking is growing faster than ever in the Washington region and the Washington Area Bicyclist Association (WABA) is a dynamic, fun, and committed local organization propelling this change. Much of WABA’s work involves meeting new people, answering questions, and providing opportunities to show just how incredible biking can be.
WABA is looking for a full-time outreach coordinator to manage innovative, community-focused bicycle engagement programs in the DC region.
The outreach coordinator is responsible for managing WABA’s outreach volunteer corps, including recruitment, training and communications, scheduling and staffing events, pop-up activities, rides, and more throughout the region, developing new strategies and approaches to bicycle outreach and encouragement, and online program support and marketing. This position will report to WABA’s Programs Director.
The Outreach Coordinator will:
- Coordinate an engaging DC Bike Ambassador program, including but not limited to:
- Volunteer management
- Communications strategy, including email, social media, and blog posts
- Events, activities, and rides in all wards of DC
- Targeted outreach to communities underserved by WABA and bicycling, including but not limited to spanish-speakers, the deaf community, seniors, and residents of wards 4, 5, 7, and 8.
- Communicate an effective and encouraging message about bikes and bicycling to employers, employees, bicyclists, motorists, pedestrians and the press.
- Develop a robust restaurant and hotel outreach program that expands WABA’s reach to include bicyclists who have non-traditional commuting hours.
- Administer all aspects of WABA’s current and future outreach programs, including: budgeting, volunteer recruitment/coordination, data entry, organization/inventory, equipment maintenance, clerical work, grant reporting, etc.
- With the Programs Director, develop outreach strategies and goals for communities outside of the District.
- Assist WABA in a non-outreach program capacity as needed.
The ideal candidate will have:
- A strong commitment to WABA’s mission and willingness to be a skillful and committed bicyclist with a solid understanding of the principles of bicycling safety and traffic law.
- At least two years of combined experience in: project management, events planning/management, marketing and/or volunteer coordination.
- Supervisory experience a plus.
- Excellent writing, presentation and public speaking skills.
- A flexible schedule and willingness to work up to 50% outside of traditional business hours (including mornings before 9am, evenings after 5pm, and weekends).
- Experience with Microsoft Office, social media platforms, WordPress, customer service relations database a plus.
- The ability to lift at least 50 lbs and to pull a bicycle trailer weighing 10 lbs. for 1-3 hours.
- The ability to organize time wisely and multi-task in a relaxed, fun environment.
- Conversational fluency in Spanish and/or ASL strongly preferred.
- League of American Bicyclist Instructor certification (LCI) a plus.
- Full-time employment.
- Expected salary range is $38,000-$43,000.
- Work at the WABA Office in Adams Morgan, Washington, DC.
- 100% employer covered health, dental, and vision insurance.
- Flexible work schedule, vacation, sick and personal leave,
- Committed colleagues and a fun working environment
- Participate in a 403(b) retirement program after one-year’s service.
- Optional voluntary accident and disability insurance programs
About the Washington Area Bicyclist Association
Making bicycling better through advocacy and education, the Washington Area Bicyclist Association (WABA) promotes biking as a healthy, low-cost, and environmentally-friendly form of transportation and recreation. With 6,000 members region-wide, WABA serves bicyclists throughout the Washington, DC Metropolitan Area, including the District of Columbia and parts of Maryland and Virginia.
Send a cover letter with a resume to email@example.com. No phone calls please.
Position available immediately. Applications accepted until the position is filled.
WABA is committed to providing equal employment opportunity for all persons regardless of race, color, religion, national origin, marital status, arrest record or criminal convictions, political affiliation, sexual orientation or gender identity, disability, sex, or age.