The ABCs of Family Biking is back!
Once again, Kidical Mass DC, the District Department of Transportation Safe Routes to School Program, and the Washington Area Bicyclist Association will team up celebrate the joy of biking with children and introduce local families to the tools, skills and equipment that can help them start biking together.
This year’s “ABC’s of Family Biking” will be held on Sun., April 28, 2013 from 11 p.m. to 1:00 p.m. in the parking lot behind Capitol Hill Montessori School at Logan (215 G St. NE). Once again, we will:
- Provide an opportunity to talk to parents who bike with children of all ages, from infants and toddlers through school-age
- Feature the bicycles and equipment available at local bike shops to help parents bike safely with their children
- Teach basic riding skills to children through free classes with WABA instructors
- Present a special class on group riding skills for families that are interested in forming “biketrains” for children to ride to and from school together
- Offer a free bike maintenance and repair clinic from The Bike House
In addition, this year we’re going to try some new things:
- An opportunity for attendees to swap or sell their outgrown kids’ bikes, bike seats, and other family biking equipment.
- A rock-n-roll bike-themed puppet show, Squirrels on Bikes, to entertain our young and young-at-heart visitors
- 11 a.m.: Event begins. Bike rodeo runs till 11:45.
- 11:30 a.m.: “Squirrels on Bikes” puppet show
- 12 p.m.: Biketrain class begins
- 1 p.m.: Event finished!
Special thanks to BicycleSPACE and the BicycleSPACE Yoga Program participants, who provided invaluable funding to make this year’s ABC’s of Family Biking a success! The ABCs of Family Biking is partnered with the Washington Area Bicyclist Association, the D.C. Safe Routes to School Program, the District Department of Transportation, BicycleSPACE, The Bike House, Kasper’s Cargos, The Daily Rider, Flying Fox Puppet Theater, Proteus Bikes, and The Green Commuter.
Image via Kidical Mass